Native Council of PEI
The Native Council of PEI is opening a Low-Barrier Men’s Homeless Shelter in Summerside. The shelter will work to provide wrap-around care while maintaining a safe and respectful environment for both residents and staff. The Shelter Resource Worker will provide a trauma-informed, non-judgmental approach to care. The Shelter Resource Worker will support and refer clients to programs and services to address issues of homelessness, mental health, addictions, and to other support services.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manage resident intake, including completing daily entrance and intake forms, doing safety checks (kitbags), and storing resident’s belongings etc.
• Supervise clients’ access to medications using daily sign-in/out forms.
• Record detailed incident reports and daily case management notes.
• Plan meals for the residents and create weekly meal plans.
• Establish collaborative relationships with residents, working to increase their strengths and creating wellness strategies.
• Establish clear, simple, and consistent limits for the residents.
• Encourage and facilitate the participation of residents to create a safe, positive atmosphere.
• Maintain awareness of any issues experienced by the residents and inform the supervisor.
• Supervise basic life skills chores or teach a resident how to complete them in a supportive manner. Encourage basic hygiene for all residents.
• Connect residents to cultural, addiction and metal health supports.
• Ensure safety of residents and staff throughout shift.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
• Demonstrated experience working with persons with a diagnosed mental health condition, preferably in a skill development or residential environment capacity.
• Experience working with individuals with substance abuse and mental health issues.
• The ability to demonstrate deep respect not only for clients but for the teams they support, as well as peers and community partners.
• Applied Suicide Intervention Skills (ASIST) certification, Naloxone training, First Aid and CPR certifications would be considered assets.
• Good communication and judgement skills.
• Capable of sustained physical activity.
• The ability to work flexible shifts.
You must sign in to apply for this position.