UPEI - Office of the Vice-President Academic and Research
The Centre for Entrepreneurship at UPEI is a student entrepreneurship hub that serves as a catalyst for the early stages of the startup ecosystem to bring together students, faculty, and business leaders in the community for the advancement of innovation and entrepreneurship at the University. Reporting to the Vice-President, Academic and Research, the successful candidate will lead the creation of the Centre and implementation of its programs to strengthen the entrepreneurial ecosystem. Experienced in entrepreneurial environments, the Manager will implement the vision for the Centre to improve collaboration among participants in the UPEI and PEI entrepreneurial ecosystem, complement the programs and activities of existing organizations in the province, and improve understanding of entrepreneurship and innovation in PEI.
Duties will include:
- Providing strategic direction
- Developing and implementing a communications plan
- Assessing and implementing collaboration, engagement, and funding programs
- Leading advocacy efforts
- Developing mentoring and entrepreneurial assessment programs for entrepreneurs and start-ups
- Managing of human resources, including the hiring process of Centre personnel and reviewing and assessing staff performance
- Managing the Centre’s finances; leading fund development and writing grant proposals
- Managing mentors and entrepreneur-in-residence
- Performing other related duties as required
- The Manager will also serve a key role in the Centre’s advocacy efforts for the entrepreneurial ecosystem, in collaboration with an Advisory Board and academic units at the University
- Experience (5 years or more) in leadership in support of entrepreneurs
- Bachelor’s degree: Master’s degree considered an asset; or any equivalent combination of experience and training
- Experience in entrepreneurship, building a start-up organization, strategy development; management of staff / budgets; venture capital firms; technology commercialization; grant writing; and business development would be considered assets, as would experience with university settings
- A proactive approach with excellent organizational, written and verbal communications, inter-personal and teamwork skills are required
- An ability to function effectively in a diverse academic context is required
- The successful candidate should have superior communication skills to build lasting relationships with key ecosystem entities
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If you require accommodation in any part of the process, please direct your inquiries, in confidence, to our HR Officer, hr*******@up**.ca.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
UPEI encourages all qualified applicants to apply for job openings; however, in keeping with the terms and provisions of the university’s various employment and collective agreements, first priority will be given to internal candidates.
You must sign in to apply for this position.