The Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) is the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health. CMHA facilitates access to the resources people require to maintain and improve mental health and community integration, build resilience, and support recovery from mental illness.
The PEI Division of the Canadian Mental Health Association requires the services of a qualified individual to work as Housing Outreach Worker. This is a 1 Full Time Employment (FTE) permanent position. This position is located within the Summerside office.
- Supports clients with complex mental health and/or addiction issues, in the maintenance and sustainability of long term independent housing
- Creates learning opportunities to grow clients’ skills required to maintain sustainable housing and independent living
- Connects clients with access to community services and resources as outlined in the agreed client case plan.
- Provides other related assistance and services to reduce the impact of barriers to stable housing.
- Ensures proper documentation by keeping an accurate and up to date record of employment and educational supports provided to each individual served.
- Maintains confidentiality of information.
• Relevant university degree in Social Sciences (social work, psychology etc.)
• Experience working with clients with complex mental health and addictions needs.
• Direct experience or in-depth knowledge of the social determinants of health and the population housing needs.
• Experience working with community agencies
Key Skills and Abilities:
• An understanding and ability to work within a recovery-oriented program delivery model
• Flexibility and a client-centered approach based on client needs
• Innovative with excellent problem solving, verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently and within a team environment
• Ability to make decisions independently with minimal supervision
• Ability to provide community and in-home based services on a regular basis
• Ability to work collaboratively with community partners
• Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to multitask in a high pressure environment
• Ability to input data using documentation software, electronic client files and evaluation tools
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office computer software
• Knowledge of client support services and resources within the community
• Excellent assessment, crisis intervention, problem solving and organizational skills
▪ Vehicle and valid driver’s license required (frequent travel within the community)
▪ A satisfactory and current criminal records check,
▪ CPR/First Aid
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST), Mental Health First Aid, Motivational interviewing, NonViolent Crisis Intervention and the management of concurrent disorders
Hours of work: full time, part-time, days, evenings, weekends and rotating shifts
Location: Summerside, PEI
Closing Date for Application : Wednesday , January 19, 2022 at 9 p.m. AST
Start Date: As soon as possible
Interested candidates should apply with their resume and covering letter by either mail or email to:
CMHA PEI Division
178 Fitzroy Street, P.O. Box 785,
Charlottetown, PE, C1A 7L9
(please indicate on subject line: 004 –HOW Housing Outreach Worker)
CMHA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive
environment for all employees.
We thank all applicants who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.