We believe small businesses are at the heart of our communities, and championing them is worth fighting for. We empower small business owners to manage their finances fearlessly by offering the simplest, all-in-one financial management solution they can’t live without.
Wavers are a special breed. We could write a novel on our award-winning culture and what makes us, us. However, we’d rather just show you. Take one-minute and forty-eight seconds out of your day to get a quick glimpse on why you should join us.
About the Engineering Team:
We aim to meaningfully improve the lives of small business owners, who are traditionally under-served and often struggle because of this. At Wave, you won’t just write code—you’ll build high-quality systems at scale. This means being involved in the research, design, and organizational and maintenance practices behind our wide range of applications, which are relied upon by tens of thousands of small business owners. You won’t find many hardcore specialists here. Most Wave engineers are willing and able to dive into different technologies to get the job done. This requires curiosity, openness to new ideas and perspectives, and a genuine interest in what makes software products tick.
Looking to join this team? You’ll work alongside some technical heavyweights such as:
Jason Colburne: Staff Engineer at Wave, ex-Amazon, and talented enough to build his own guitar effect pedals (which he uses in live performances).
Tina Goyal: Senior Engineering Director at Wave. Tina is passionate about building software teams and products, leadership, coaching and creating a culture of trust, excellence and collaboration.
As an engineering team, we deeply care about being the best in our craft – System Design, Code Quality, Test Coverage, and Observability. As a part of this team, you will help maintain the current bar we have but will hopefully go on to raise it to the next level.
Here’s What You Should Know About Engineering at Wave:
- Our Technology: Wave is powered by several key technologies. Our toolkit is primarily Python and Django on the service layer, with some Ruby and Golang as well. GraphQL and REST power our APIs, and our web/mobile front-ends are React and ReactNative with Typescript. We expect software developers to have proficiency in one or more of these areas. You will be expected to be able to cross technical domains and contribute to both the back-end and front-end as needs arise.
- Your Work Will Matter: Every engineer at Wave is tasked with solving meaty, meaningful challenges for a really important end-user – our small business owners. The code you write will make a difference, guaranteed.
- We Are a Community: Wave is about the size of a small neighbourhood. It is possible to get to know everyone on a personal basis. If you’re trying to solve a hard problem that has roots in some other part of the company, odds are pretty good that you’ll find someone close by who can help you out.
- You Will be Stretched: We’re big on transparency and we know Wave isn’t for everyone. However, if you’re ready to flex your creativity, excel at your craft, fuel your curiosity, and thrive in a dynamic environment, we’re confident you’ll love being a Waver.
- Hear some more from current & former Wavers about Engineering@Wave.
What You Can Expect From Wave’s Recruitment Team:
- We acknowledge you. We will review and respond to every application, whether you are selected for an interview or not.
- We are here for you. We will coach and support you through your recruitment process to help you prepare for every step of the way as best as we can – your success is our success.
- We respect your time. We will do our best to review applications quickly, run multiple interviews on the same day, and follow up in a timely manner.
- We help you grow. We will gladly provide feedback if you ask us, because whether you join our team or not, we hope this will be a positive and valuable experience for you.
- We listen to you. We will also welcome your feedback, and we will take your suggestions to heart, so that we continuously provide the absolute best candidate experience.
Working at Wave:
- Work From Where You Work Best: We will always have a welcoming, energizing, and world-class office (in Toronto) with a space for you. Or, if you’re more comfortable working from home, the choice is yours.
- We Care About Future You: You will stretch yourself and you will grow at Wave. You will also be supported on this journey with diverse learning experiences, educational allowances, mentorship, and so much more.
- We Support the Full You: We make a serious investment in your health & wellness. When we think about benefits we think about body, mind, & soul and we take this stuff very seriously.
- We Take Care of the Fundamentals: Fair compensation, all the office perks you’d want, and the various goodies you’d expect from a growing tech company. This is the obvious stuff, but we don’t want you to think we forgot!
We believe that a diverse and inclusive culture creates the best workplace. We embrace our differences, value individuality, and the broad spectrum of every Waver’s skills and abilities. We challenge each other from a place of respect and pursuit of continuous growth. We trust each other and encourage everyone to bring their authentic selves to work, everyday. As Wavers, our voices matter, our opinions are met with an open mind. The best ideas win, no matter whose they are. Contributing to an inclusive culture is a part of all of our job descriptions.
Our culture is reflected in a stellar Glassdoor rating. We’ve been continuously recognized as one of Canada’s Top Ten Most Admired Corporate Cultures and one of Canada’s Great Places to Work in categories including Technology, Millennials, Mental Health, Inclusion and Women.
Are you ready to be a Waver? Join us!