We believe small businesses are at the heart of our communities, and championing them is worth fighting for. We empower small business owners to manage their finances fearlessly by offering the simplest, all-in-one financial management solution they can’t live without.
Wavers are a special breed. We could write a novel on our award-winning culture and what makes us, us. However, we’d rather just show you. Take one-minute and forty-eight seconds out of your day to get a quick glimpse on why you should join us.
About the Banking Team and this role:
At Wave, our mission is to build an all-in-one financial management solution for small business owners with Banking at the centre to automate their finances so they can focus on growing their business. Our Banking team is building the neo-bank for small business owners to solve common pain points that other banks do not. From streamlined onboarding to tracking card transactions in real time, from getting paid by their customers to paying their vendors and employees, from managing expenses and receipts to filing their taxes, we are working to provide a seamless experience connecting Banking with other Wave services.
Our Banking product (Wave Money) is built using the latest technologies. Our services are built using Golang hosted on serverless technology. Our front end is a mobile first experience built on React Native. As the Engineering Manager, you will help scale up our Banking from a closed beta to a product used by hundreds of thousands of businesses actively using Wave. You will do that by helping the team build solutions to complex cross-domain problems, aligning with cross-functional stakeholders around the business and by helping grow a talented world class team. You will play a crucial role in delivering the company’s long term strategy while delivering slices of functionality in the short term.
You will be part of an established team of engineers that take high ownership so you will have ample support while onboarding. You will also be a part of the larger engineering leadership team that values diversity, invests in growing leaders and respects work-life balance. You are not expected to have prior experience in Golang, serverless or React Native.
As an engineering team, we deeply care about being the best in our craft – System Design, Code Quality, Test Coverage, and Observability. As the leader of the Banking team, you will help the team raise the bar on all aspects of product quality.
About the Engineering Team:
We aim to meaningfully improve the lives of small business owners, who are traditionally under-served and often struggle because of this. At Wave, you won’t just write code—you’ll build high-quality systems at scale. This means being involved in the research, design, and organizational and maintenance practices behind our wide range of applications, which are relied upon by tens of thousands of small business owners. You won’t find many hardcore specialists here. Most Wave engineers are willing and able to dive into different technologies to get the job done. This requires curiosity, openness to new ideas and perspectives, and a genuine interest in what makes software products tick.
Looking to join this team? You’ll work alongside some technical heavyweights such as:
Jason Colburne: Staff Engineer at Wave, ex-Amazon, and talented enough to build his own guitar effect pedals (which he uses in live performances).
Felix Crux: Engineering Director at Wave; ex-Google, ex-Amazon. Three passports, four languages, and licensed to safely operate a bicycle.
As an engineering team, we deeply care about being the best in our craft – System Design, Code Quality, Test Coverage, and Observability. As a part of this team, you will help maintain the current bar we have but will hopefully go on to raise it to the next level.
Here’s What You Should Know About Engineering at Wave:
- Your Work Will Matter: Every engineer at Wave is tasked with solving meaty, meaningful challenges for a really important end-user – our small business owners. The code you write will make a difference, guaranteed.
- We Are a Community: Wave is about the size of a small neighbourhood. It is possible to get to know everyone on a personal basis. If you’re trying to solve a hard problem that has roots in some other part of the company, odds are pretty good that you’ll find someone close by who can help you out.
- You Will be Stretched: We’re big on transparency and we know Wave isn’t for everyone. However, if you’re ready to flex your creativity, excel at your craft, fuel your curiosity, and thrive in a dynamic environment, we’re confident you’ll love being a Waver.
What You Can Expect From Wave’s Recruitment Team:
- We are human: Helenja (and the rest of our team) is a real human being who is committed to giving you the best candidate experience out there. She also has a deep love of comic books, so feel free to discuss your favourite Image series.
- We acknowledge you. We will review and respond to every application, whether you are selected for an interview or not.
- We are here for you. We will coach and support you through your recruitment process to help you prepare for every step of the way as best as we can – your success is our success.
- We respect your time. We will do our best to review applications quickly, run multiple interviews on the same day, and follow up in a timely manner.
- We help you grow. We will gladly provide feedback if you ask us, because whether you join our team or not, we hope this will be a positive and valuable experience for you.
- We listen to you. We will also welcome your feedback, and we will take your suggestions to heart, so that we continuously provide the absolute best candidate experience.
We believe that a diverse and inclusive culture creates the best workplace. We embrace our differences, value individuality, and the broad spectrum of every Waver’s skills and abilities. We challenge each other from a place of respect and pursuit of continuous growth. We trust each other and encourage everyone to bring their authentic selves to work, everyday. As Wavers, our voices matter, our opinions are met with an open mind. The best ideas win, no matter whose they are. Contributing to an inclusive culture is a part of all of our job descriptions.
Our culture is reflected in a stellar Glassdoor rating. We’ve been continuously recognized as one of Canada’s Top Ten Most Admired Corporate Cultures and one of Canada’s Great Places to Work in categories including Technology, Millennials, Mental Health, Inclusion and Women.
Are you ready to be a Waver? Join us!