Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
Heavy Duty Mechanics
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
Locations: Prince and Queens County
Full-Time Classified Positions
These positions are located in Queens and Prince County. The purpose of these positions is to perform quality repair and maintenance services on heavy trucks, light fleet vehicles, school buses, service vehicles, heavy equipment and other related vehicles, so as to reduce equipment downtime. Some work may be performed at roadside or other field locations; departmental service vehicles may be utilized. This work requires employees to work a flexible schedule on weekends and/or evenings to meet operational requirements. Duties will include:
- testing and inspecting equipment for road worthiness, diagnosing malfunctions or failure of equipment;
- disassembling faulty components, inspect, repair and reassemble;
- evaluating and recommending whether to repair or replace components- performing repairs and reassembling units;
- carrying out preventative maintenance (i.e., lubrication, adjustments, fluid checks, check of body, unit components, etc.) including test driving equipment;
- continually maintaining and improving knowledge level on new repair procedure and technology;
- completing accurate and up-to-date maintenance records, work orders, Motor Vehicle Inspection (MVI) documentsor work activities on all fleet equipment in the shop or on the roadside repair;
- conducting Provincial MVIs according to provincial guidelines and checking vehicles and heavy equipment stickersfor MVI renewal dates;
- changing tires, rims, wheels on all vehicles and equipment types;
- installing electronic equipment for vehicle and material management systems;
- keeping work area tidy and uncluttered. Removing debris and waste to appropriate disposal location(s);
- checking work site for fire and other potential hazards before starting work activities and reporting unsafe acts or accidents;
- other related duties as required.
- Must have successful completion of Grade 12 or equivalent; possess a Certification of Qualification (Red Seal) as a Heavy Equipment Technician or Truck, and Transport Technician.
- Must have training and considerable recent experience working in a computerized environment (i.e. diagnostic repairs).
- Must have considerable experience in a heavy equipment mechanical repair environment.
- Demonstrated equivalencies will be considered.
- Be physically able to perform the duties of the position; including heavy lifting, climbing up and under equipment.
- Be able to work independently, under pressure and with minimal supervision.
- Applicant must hold a valid Motor Vehicle Inspection (MVI) License or the ability to obtain the license.
- Must have a valid Class 2A or 3A driver’s license and provide a current and satisfactory driver’s abstract and medical.
- Prior to employment, must have or procure all basic tools, toolbox and equipment necessary to operate in this position.
- Must have, or be willing to obtain, a Tire Service Certification Course, Forklift Certificate and Crane Certification.
- Must be able to respond to service calls within a reasonable time frame to the site of repair.
- Candidate should possess strong interpersonal and organizational skills, as well as strong written and communication skills.
- Prior to beginning employment, the successful applicant must provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Records Check, a current hearing test and must have, or be willing to obtain, training in WHMIS and First Aid / CPR.
- These positions are designated, employees must be able to travel to or stay at work for periods of time as operational demands require.
- Applicants may be assigned to either the day shift or PM shift (3:00 pm – 12:00 am).
- Hold a valid Automotive Service Technician Trade Qualification would be considered an asset.
- Additional relevant education and experience will be considered an asset.
Preference will be given to UPSE Civil Employees as per the UPSE Civil Collective Agreement.
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure is committed to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Accessibility. Our goal is to build a public sector workforce that reflects the diverse communities we serve and to promote welcoming, diverse, inclusive, respectful workplaces that are accessible to all. We welcome all interested individuals including Indigenous People, persons with disabilities, Black, racialized, ethnic and culturally diverse groups, as well as people regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identities, and gender expressions. Those looking for more information are invited to visit our Diversity & Inclusion Policy.
Note: Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided. The successful candidate will be the only individual receiving written notification of competition results. The “Notification of Successful Candidates” list posted on the Employment Opportunity board will serve to inform all other applicants of competition results.
Salary Range: $29.64 – $35.36 ( Level 12D)
Bi-Weekly Hours: 80.0 hours bi-weekly
Posting ID: 156411-0323TIPI
You must sign in to apply for this position.