Public Schools Branch
CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
DIRECTOR OF THE PUBLICS SCHOOL BRANCH
FULL-TIME EXCLUDED POSITION
LOCATION – Stratford Branch Office
The Public Schools Branch is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a safe, healthy and inclusive work environment that inspires respect. The Public Schools Branch is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. All qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, colour, religion, nationality, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The Director of the Public Schools Branch is responsible for providing visionary leadership and strategic direction to ensure the overall success and growth of the PSB. This position requires a strong educational background, exceptional leadership skills, and the ability to effectively collaborate with various stakeholders. The Director will oversee the implementation of policies, programs, and initiatives that promote academic excellence, student achievement, and a positive learning environment.
- Provide strategic leadership and direction to the school board, ensuring alignment with the board’s mission, vision, and goals.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, and programs that support the educational needs of students and promote a safe and caring school culture.
- Collaborate with the Board of Trustees, PSB Directors, administrators, teachers, staff, community members and external stakeholders, to establish and communicate the board’s strategic priorities and goals.
- Oversee the implementation of curriculum, instructional practices, assessment strategies that promote student success and student wellbeing.
- Manage the board’s budget and resources effectively, ensuring fiscal responsibility and accountability.
- Recruit, hire, and retain highly qualified staff members. Strive for diversity in the workplace by recruiting a workforce inclusive of different backgrounds including gender, socioeconomic, culture diversity and abilities. Providing ongoing professional development and support.
- Foster positive relationships with board of trustees, parents, community members, local government officials, and other stakeholders to promote collaboration and engagement in the educational process.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, and policies related to education, student safety, and employee rights.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of schools and staff members, providing feedback and support as needed to drive continuous improvement.
- Stay informed about current educational trends, research, policies/procedures and best practices, and incorporate this knowledge into decision-making processes, policies and procedures.
- Represent the school board at community events, meetings, and conferences, to build relationships and to advocate for the board’s interests and promote its achievements.
- Positive solution building with students, parents, staff, and community members to address and resolve conflicts, concerns, and complaints in a timely and effective manner.
- Collaborate with other school boards, educational organizations, and government departments and agencies to share best practices and resources.
- Maintain open and transparent communication with all stakeholders, providing regular updates on board initiatives, achievements, and challenges.
- Stay abreast of legislative changes and policy updates that may impact the school board, advocating for the board’s needs and interests.
- Master’s degree in Education or a related field.
- Must have or be eligible to hold a PEI Teachers certificate 6.
- Must have a minimum of 10 years of leadership experience in public education.
- Proven experience as a school administrator, with a track record of successful leadership and achievement.
- Strong knowledge of educational policies, practices, and regulations.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills.
- Creative problem solving and positive solution building.
- Critical thinking using different perspectives.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic plans and initiatives.
- Proven systems thinking skills and experience.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget development and oversight.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Knowledge of current educational trends, research, and best practices.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Must have a satisfactory criminal record check and a vulnerable sector check.
The successful candidate must possess leadership competencies that are essential for guiding and inspiring others, making strategic decisions, and driving organizational success.
- Visionary Leadership: The ability to create and communicate a compelling vision for the organization, inspiring others to work towards a common goal.
- Strategic Thinking: The capacity to think critically and strategically, analyzing complex situations, identifying opportunities, and developing effective plans and strategies.
- Decision-Making: The skill to make timely and informed decisions, considering multiple perspectives, relevant information, weighing alternatives, and assessing potential risks and benefits.
- Communication: The ability to effectively convey ideas, information, and expectations to individuals and groups, using clear and concise language, active listening, and non-verbal cues.
- Emotional Intelligence: The capacity to recognize, understand, and manage one’s own emotions, as well as the emotions of others. This includes empathy, self-awareness, and the ability to build and maintain positive relationships.
- Adaptability: The willingness and ability to embrace change, adapt to new circumstances, and lead others through transitions.
- Collaboration and Teamwork: The skill to work effectively with others, fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment, and leveraging the strengths of team members to achieve shared goals.
- Influencing and Persuasion: The ability to influence and persuade others, using effective communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills to gain support and commitment.
- Accountability: The willingness to take ownership of one’s actions and decisions, accepting responsibility for outcomes, and holding oneself and others accountable for performance.
- Resilience: The ability to bounce back from setbacks, overcome obstacles, and maintain a positive attitude and perseverance in the face of challenges.
- Ethical Leadership: The commitment to act with integrity, honesty, and fairness, making ethical decisions and modeling ethical behavior for others.
- Equity and Justice-centered: Lead others to advocate for more innovative and creative ways to cultivate socially just learning environments.
- Continuous Learning: The mindset of ongoing learning and development, seeking new knowledge, skills, and perspectives to enhance leadership effectiveness.
Salary Range: $63.32-79.16 /hr (Excluded Level 29)
Bi-Weekly Hours: 75 hrs
Closing Date: Oct 6, 2023, 4:00 pm
Competition Number: 159196
Note: Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
You must sign in to apply for this position.