City of Charlottetown
NATURE OF WORK: The Communications Coordinator works under the direction of the Senior Communications Officer to provide resources and support on communication and marketing-related activities for the corporation. The Communications Coordinator maintains the corporate social media platforms and is responsible for online monitoring, as well as implementing the City’s social media strategies and online presence. The Communications Coordinator participates in maintaining and developing the City’s brand and reputation, graphic design projects, and must maintain confidentiality, take considerable initiative, and ensure a high degree of accuracy while exercising independent judgement.
This job description reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in such classification.
The confidentiality of City affairs shall be respected and practiced at all times.
- Reports directly to the Senior Communications Officer.
- Works closely with all members of the Communications department.
- Develops and maintains working relationships with departmental managers, supervisors, and City employees to provide support and assist with communication functions.
- As a committed member of the City of Charlottetown team, the Communications Coordinator acts as a positive role model for all employees throughout the organization.
- Develops and maintains relationships with service providers and associated professional groups.
- Develops and maintains relationships with Standing Committees and members of Council.
- Deals with the public with integrity and in a professional and courteous manner.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Under the direction of the Senior Communications Officer, administers various social media channels used by the City, analyzes activities for effectiveness and reach, and makes recommendations for improvements. Ensures brand and visual standards compliance.
- Acts as support for internal website users; provides website and engagement platform content support to departments including editing and development of campaign materials.
- Prepares, updates, and accesses confidential reports and information as required, such as briefing notes, news releases, and public service announcements.
- Works collaboratively with the Communications team to ensure City information is provided in an efficient and effective manner.
- Assists with preparing quotes and speaking notes for elected officials and assists with responding to information requests from the public.
- Assists with various City projects, news conferences, and events.
- In collaboration with members of the Communications Team, produces corporate publications, including design and layout.
- Assists with the administration side of the Charlottetown Alert System and Mass Notification System working with dispatch and Fire to update emergency personnel in the system. Supports the Public Information Officer position for the Emergency Measures Team.
- Performs other related duties, responsibilities, and functions as assigned.
- Excellent writing and communication skills; ability to create content in different styles and for varied media; grammatical knowledge and a high level of attention to detail.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills paired with the demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships with management, staff, and members of the public.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills to meet frequent and aggressive deadlines. Ability to be flexible in the work hours/days.
- Excellent judgment and the ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential data and situations with tact, professionalism, and discretion.
- Excellent analytical and research skills paired with the ability to create and edit detailed reports as required.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision. Advanced verbal, and written communication skills and the ability to engage others.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency and advanced knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office software and social media platforms.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills paired with the demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships with management, staff, and the public.
- A strategic and creative thinker with the ability to work with detailed processes.
- Ability to grasp concepts, methodologies, and approaches quickly and can develop and implement them effectively. Good personal mastery and performance as a team player, with proven ability to role model the behaviours associated with a constructive culture and a commitment to health, wellness, and safety.
- Ability to work overtime on occasion to accommodate evening meetings and events.
- 2-3-year college diploma in a program related to public relations, journalism, marketing, or communications.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in communications, public relations, journalism, or marketing.
- Experience with CMS website management platforms and Bang The Table engagement software is an asset.
- Experience in event logistics and graphic design would be an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Salary: $60,331.52 – $70,977.43 as per the Management Non-Union Salary Grid.
How to Apply:
Your application must be clearly marked Application for “Communications Coordinator” and submitted by December 5, 2023, by 4:00 PM.
Please ensure your application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applications will be screened based on the information provided. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Charlottetown is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. The City encourages applications from underrepresented groups including all designated equity groups with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If you require an accommodation in any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries, in confidence, to jo**@ch***********.ca or by calling 902-629-4110.
You must sign in to apply for this position.