Website City of Charlottetown
Great Things Happen Here
NATURE OF WORK: This is a responsible position requiring technical knowledge in the maintenance and repair of all fleet equipment with an emphasis on heavy equipment and trucks. The Mechanic II shall be responsible for maintaining tools and ensuring that equipment such as loaders, graders, backhoe, trucks, and snowplows are in good working order.
This job description reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in such classification.
The confidentiality of City affairs shall be respected and practiced at all times.
· Reports directly to the Superintendent Fleet Operations.
· Works closely with all members of the Public Works department.
· Develops and maintains working relationships with departmental managers, supervisors, and all City employees.
· Develops and maintains relationships with service providers, external agencies, consultants, and associated professional groups.
· As a committed member of the City of Charlottetown team, the Mechanic II will act as a positive role model for all employees throughout the organization.
· Deals with the public with integrity and in a professional and courteous manner.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS/ ACCOUNTABILITIES:
· Maintains vehicle engines, frames, tires, and bodies.
· Monitors inventory and identifies parts requiring re-order.
· Keeps records of vehicle maintenance.
· Reports vehicle maintenance concerns to superintendent.
· Performs other related duties, responsibilities and functions as may be assigned.
· Advanced verbal, and written communication skills, and the ability to engage others.
· Excellent interpersonal skills paired with the ability to form and maintain strong relationships with Council, management, staff, other government employees, and the general public.
· Excellent analytical, organizational, and time management skills to meet frequent and aggressive deadlines.
· Ability to grasp concepts, methodologies, and approaches quickly and can develop and implement them effectively.
· Patience, sound judgment, and excellent decision-making skills.
· A strategic and creative thinker with the ability to work with detailed processes.
· Excellent judgment and the ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential data and situations with tact, professionalism, and discretion.
· Ability to work in a team environment with supervisory staff, mechanics, and other employees.
· Ability to implement and/or follow maintenance schedule on all vehicles within the department.
· Knowledge of safety precautions and hazards applicable to the work and ability to work safely.
· Ability to organize and prioritize work duties.
· Ability to work overtime when required.
· Hours of work shall be 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week and shifts may vary
· Must have Grade XII or equivalent.
· Must have a valid P.E.I. driver’s license Class (3A).
· Must possess Journeyperson Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic Certification for PEI.
· Ability to repair motor vehicles (passenger vehicles to heavy equipment and trucks) with emphasis on the heavy equipment.
· Must have experience in the repair of heavy equipment.
· An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Salary assigned: $71,767.53 as per the CUPE 501 Civic Collective Agreement
*The City is offering a one-time signing bonus of $10,000 for this position and will pay moving expenses up to $7500 for the successful candidate.
The City of Charlottetown prides itself on the ability to provide excellent benefits to our Employees. Employee benefits include comprehensive health, dental, life, and disability benefits, an Employee and Family Assistance program, defined benefit pension plan, training and personal development, and internal employment growth opportunities.
You must sign in to apply for this position.