Website City of Charlottetown
Great Things Happen Here
NATURE OF WORK: Under the direction of the Manager of Human Resources, this position involves work of a highly confidential nature and requires considerable initiative, accuracy, and judgment. The HREA shall relieve the Manager of Human Resources and Human Resources Services Officer of day-to-day administrative tasks and provide administrative support as required to all members of the Department.
This job description reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in such classification.
The confidentiality of City affairs shall be respected and practiced at all times.
· Reports to the Manager of Human Resources.
· Works closely with all members of the HR Department.
· Develops and maintains positive working relations with council members, managers, and staff of all departments, as well as bargaining unit representatives to obtain information, assist with HR functions, and coordinate meetings on behalf of the HR Department.
· Interacts pleasantly with all current and former employees, responding to questions relating to payroll or benefits issues, and redirects, as necessary.
· Interacts with various external government agencies, consultants, associated professional groups, staff, and members of Council in coordinating information and/or meetings for the HRM.
· Deals with the public with integrity and in a professional and courteous manner.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
· As a committed member of the City of Charlottetown Team, the HREA is required to act as a positive role model for all employees throughout the organization.
· Performs administrative duties such as typing, data entry, arranging meetings, recording meeting minutes, and handling or directing internal and external correspondence while upholding the highly confidential requirements of the Human Resources Department.
· Drafts information reports and other correspondence as requested by the Manager of Human Resources and the related Standing Committee of Council.
· Assists in the preparation of materials including organizational charts, graphics, charts, and computer presentations for committees, labour negotiations, arbitrations, labour board hearings, and Human Rights Complaints.
· Co-ordinates incoming and outgoing correspondence for the Human Resources Department. Scans any incoming correspondence for information which may impact on the Manager of Human Resources’ calendar or Department activities.
· Maintains a bring-forward system to ensure eligible salary increments are not missed and ensure that managers/supervisors have provided necessary authorization.
· Maintains a bring-forward system to ensure performance evaluations are completed and that the process has been concluded in a timely manner.
· Designs and maintains computerized databases to track correspondence, grievances, and other HR related issues and/or processes.
· Schedules and prepare notices, agendas, minutes, and necessary materials for meetings as required.
· Arranges travel and conference registration for the HR Department staff.
· Maintains employee files and file updates, time, and attendance reporting, confidential materials, and legal documents.
· Creates letters and documentation for employees and copies personnel files when managing employee issues in collaboration with the Manager of Human Resources and Senior Employee Relations Officer.
· Works with the Senior Employee Relations Officer to coordinate training seminars and presentations.
· Prepares, updates, and accesses confidential reports and information as required.
· Provides administrative support to manage departmental budget and expense reporting.
· Processes purchase requisitions and follows through with returns and receipts and provide administrative support to manage departmental budget and expense reporting.
· Assists in the recruitment process as required; posts vacant positions as directed, arranges for interviews, prepares interview packages for the selection committee, creates letters of offer and/or letters to unsuccessful candidates and completes reference checks. Act as a member of the selection committee as required.
· Acts as support staff to the Job Evaluation Committee.
· Update’s vacation and sick accruals and absence reporting /balance reports with required departments.
· Maintains seniority and recall lists, absence banks, sick banks, and balance reports for union requirements and coordinates other labour relations activities including tracking employees who have reached 6240 status.
· Coordinates the seasonal application database and filing system and refers applications, as required.
· Assists the HR Coordinator with benefits administration as required.
· Saves and sends out monthly newsletters for the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
· Coordinates activities for employee recognition including maintaining information, coordinating Employee Appreciation Day, Staff BBQ, and Service Awards.
· Performs other related duties, responsibilities, and functions as assigned.
· Advanced Microsoft Office skills, typing with advanced word processing features, and thorough knowledge of office equipment, procedures, databases, spreadsheets, and graphic programs.
· Advanced, verbal, and written communication skills and the ability to engage others.
· Exceptional interpersonal skills paired with the ability to form and maintain strong relationships with Council, management, staff, union representatives, other government employees and the general public.
· Ability to work with detailed processes including entering data in HRIS and payroll systems.
· Exceptional organizational and time management skills to meet frequent and aggressive deadlines.
· Excellent judgment and the ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential data and situations with tact, professionalism, and discretion.
· Excellent analytical and research skills paired with the ability to create and alter detailed reports as required.
· Ability to grasp concepts, methodologies, and approaches quickly and is able to develop and implement them effectively.
· Ability to work overtime on occasion to accommodate evening meetings and events.
· A recognized 2–3-year degree or diploma in Human Resources, Administration, or a related field.
· Minimum four (4) years of administrative experience, preferably in Human Resources or another position requiring an extremely high level of confidentiality.
· Experience in Human Resources and/or familiarity with collective agreement administration would be an asset.
· Experience with benefits administration and event coordination would be an asset.
· An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Salary: $55,906 – $65,771 as per the Management Non-Union salary grid.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, detailed resume, and references by e-mail to email@example.com Your application must be clearly marked “Application for Human Resources Executive Assistant” and submitted by January 31, 2023 by 4:00 PM..
Please ensure your application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applications will be screened based on the information provided. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Charlottetown is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination for all employees. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-629-4110 to request accommodation so that we may help you to submit a timely application and have an equal opportunity to compete for jobs.